Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Very popular Breakfast Recipes


My family and I love to travel and when we travel to new places, we like to experience the culture. Breakfasts have always been a key meal in our family so naturally, we like to find out what each culture's breakfast recipes have to offer.
I will start your curiosity off with the following three authentic breakfast recipes:

 Mexico - Atole (A Warm Creamy Breakfast Drink):


This is a delicious drink and it is also very satisfying. This is one of the most popular breakfast drinks in Mexico. I was told that people in Mexico drank it all the time.

It is a thick drink as the drink is thickened with Maizena (corn flour or corn starch). I've been to Mexico four times so far and I only discovered Atole on my most recent trip. My wife and I had a cup each for breakfast and it was divine.

The natives in Mexico also use Atole to calm the stomach because it is alkaline based and as an added benefit, the flavored smell can provide you with some aromatherapy. I would have to concur as it was quite relaxing having our Atole and listening to the waves. It probably didn't hurt that we were on vacation!

 Ukrainian – Bulochky (Ukrainian Buns or Loaf):


Breakfast food items vary according to the region in Ukraine and some foods are available in certain seasons only. This breakfast recipe is brought to me by a very kind and good friend. Her family is from the Ukraine and this recipe is a basic meal.
For breakfast these Bulochky can be baked individually like buns or in a loaf pan. You can serve buns warm with jam, butter or honey.

A typical Ukrainian breakfast recipe will include Bulochky with sliced aged cheese or fried eggs served sunny side up and topped with sour cream.

For a heartier breakfast, Bulochky is served with some potato pancakes, breaded veal cutlets, tomatoes and cucumbers. The natives in Ukraine eat this meal before doing heavy manual labor work. I would eat it because it is delicious and satisfying.

 Malaysian - Roti Canai:


I lied... Roti Canai is not a breakfast recipe; it is suitable for any time of the day. The difference between breakfast and supper or any other time is what you put on it. Malaysians enjoy this with their favorite curries anytime of the day.

For breakfast though, I tend to dip it in sugar or condensed milk. Roti Canai is thin and fluffy at the same time and it taste outstanding. It is by far one of my favorite snacks. Roti Canai is served in small mom and pop shops throughout Malaysia.

There was this one place in Kuala Lumpur that sold many different varieties of Roti Canai but the life of me; I can't remember what the name of that store is. I guess the family will have to make another trip to Malaysia to find it!

I hope that I've given you a 'taste' of some popular breakfast recipes around the world and I sincerely encourage you to give it a try. Who knows you may find that your next favorite breakfast recipe may be coming from the Ukraine